What is Ubuntu?
(BBC explainer video)
Back in 2018 I came across a documentary that some or most of you might have seen as well, Hoops Africa – Ubuntu Matters and that really made me think.
After some digging I found out the following about the meaning:
(/ʊˈbuːntʊ/ uu-BOON-tuu; Zulu pronunciation: [ùɓúntʼú]) is a Nguni Bantu term roughly translating to “human kindness.” It is an idea from the Southern African region which means literally “human-ness”, and is often translated as “humanity towards others”, but is often used in a more philosophical sense to mean “the belief in a universal bond of sharing that connects all humanity”. It is often is explained to mean ‘I am what I am because of who we all are’ or ‘Anything is possible’.
As a Basketball journeyman, I strongly believe that the global basketball community connects us all. I, therefore, began thinking of how the concept of “I am what I am because of who we all are” really does fall into place. Hence within our sport of basketball “Anything is possible” became that much clearer as a concept for me to follow through with. Players, coaches, managers, fans and enthusiasts all are seeking out guidance when it comes to the game. I therefore wanted to share my experiences in this space.
It is with this thought in mind its high time to spread Ubuntu.Basketball throughout the world.
By no means is this a new concept. İt is merely a concept, methodology of basketball the way the game can be expanded and simplified, and how it can help basketball players, coaches, teams, and anyone interested in the sport to grow and become better than they are “Anything is possible”.
Ubuntu Basketball (Venn Diagram)
Ubuntu Player Development Package
- 101 Advise and gameplay decision making
- Mental Basketball coaching (if requested)
- 2 x video feedback sessions a month provided via private planning & further feedback sessions via video call
- Online digital products that players can purchase via Ubuntu.Basketball on critical decision-making with unique video insights to better decision-making on the court
Ubuntu Basketball Coaching Development
- Having been in the NBA with a few teams I have witnessed the “Anything is Possible” situation of the ’08 Boston Celtics and how they incorporated Ubuntu into their core values and managed to utilize the concept at the highest level of basketball.
(09:00 minute mark – how Doc Rivers incorporated the concept)
- The concept of how to bring a philosophy where all players of an organization can buy into a framework that allows for not just challenge to be taken up as the growth of the entire group is formed as a part of the “Anything is possible” concept.
- “Anything is possible” or Ubuntu, is a means to an end forming a culture among a group of individuals that allows them to understand how past actions of others and themselves trigger the actions they take on court NOW and how it can mean forming a habit of WINNING for the entire organization.
Leave your email below and we would happily share a special gift for you!
Ubuntu Basketball for Fans & enthusiasts
- Basketball across the World is an ever-growing sport in not just 5×5 but 3×3 basketball and Ubuntu Basketball through its social media, monthly newsletter coverage, insight on special plays, and much more can cover sharing details that can allow anyone interested in Basketball to see insight that we share.